Chiaroscuro

 

Chiaroscuro, an italian term meaning 'Light-dark', refers to the strong contrast between the light and dark of a painting or photograph. This technique is a key compositional element that can compose a grand sense of volume and create the illusion that a flat image is three-dimensional. 

I first heard this term during my art course since we had to use this technique to elevate our paintings into being more realistic. I then took my understanding of this and implemented it into my photography, I know I used this technique before learning about it but after researching these techniques, especially through painting, I was able to take these photos using this theme to the next level. 

So, here is a collection of my favourite photos following this theme that i've taken over the years. 





 

Comments

Popular Posts